Wednesday, 31 March 2010
On my easter holidays from my engineering technology course. So I looked for a project to keep me occupied in case I'd get bored. Went upstairs and got my guitar and took it completely apart except for the electronics. Well, I unscrewed the pick-ups but left them attached at the wires. A combination of putting it back together and the maintenance section of the book I learned to play from(which I still have since circa Dec. '94) helped me to learn how to set up the guitar to make it more playable. I had it set up as close as I could get it but the action was a little bit low. I had the bridge set as good as I thought it could be so I raised the nut slightly. Next thing the intonation was so bad that the 12th fret harmonic on the treble E string was between the 11th and 12th frets. So I just put it to one side knowing I'd have to tackle it again today. Today I got it fairly close after adjusting the bridge and nut. I was playing a bit when the B string would go horribly out of tune when I'd bend it. It eventually snapped. Luckily I bought 2 sets yesterday. Put on the spare B string and the action was too low. Fiddled around with the bridge. The strings can be adjusted individually for height and scale length at the bridge, but the height is very tricky to get right. I had it fairly close but there was a buzz of the B and E strings. The neck is bowed a bit too much despite adjusting the truss rod yesterday, and the strings are hitting the highest frets. That's what you get for buying cheap guitars. Next to impossible to get it spot on and even changing a string can put the whole setup out of whack. I'll have another go tomorrow I suppose.