Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Latest lathe part

I was machining all day today. First I had to run the part I was milling since yesterday. Had to adjust the tooling and edit a very finicky program but got it eventually. I then had to go to the CNC lathe to machine the part in the photo. Everything went fine until the M20 thread at the end. I didn't know anything was wrong with my program until I heard a bang. I had an R0.5 in the G76 threading cycle. This told the machine to do a 0.5mm finish pass, which turned out to be too much for the tool tip and it broke. I compared my program with a colleague's and the finish pass should have been 0.05mm. After the tool insert was changed, the corrected program ran smoothly. I learned from the mistake.
Post a Comment