Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Shift Pattern

I had something on my mind for a while and I was trying to visualise it. That was what type of shift pattern I'd use if I ran my own CNC machining business. Well I went on the computer today and opened a spreadsheet to try and see how my system would work. The printed page in the photo is what I came up with. As with any "continental" shift, it's not perfect. But when running smoothly the system has more machining hours than a 5-day 3-cycle shift pattern and runs 7 days per week. The system I did is a 5-cycle system where each machinist averages 30hrs per week, thus possibly reducing the cost of man hours from 39+shift per machinist, but increasing machining time from 117hrs/wk of a 5-day 3-cycle to 153hrs/wk of my system. I have the remaining 15hrs factored in for maintenance and have an extra panel on the side for the hours that the maintenance technicians work, which allows for them to carry out machine maintenance during this down time. There are other details I didn't go into here but can be allowed for. I just wanted to get an idea of how the basic shift pattern would work. Hope someone finds this blog post interesting.
Here's how I worked it out. If you have 3 operatives doing a 39hr week with each doing 6hrs overtime at time and a half one out of every 3 Saturdays that gives you a wage bill of €507 x 3operatives for Mon. to Fri.coming to €1521 plus 1 operative doing 6hrs x 1.5 for overtime on Saturday coming to €90 gives a total wage bill of €1611 per week for 123hrs. That averages out at €13.10 per hr per week to the nearest cent. Now if you take my 5-cycle system and pay operatives €10 per hr and even give them x 1.3 shift to entice people to take the job. Paying them for the average weekly hours worked so that they get the same pay every week means they get €300 x 1.3 shift. That gives a total wage bill of  €390 x 5 operatives = €1950 for 153hrs. That averages out at €12.75 per hour per week to the nearest cent. So overall my 5-cycle system would work out better if a company could implement it because it's averaging less cost per hour on wages but getting more production hours every week. In a high pressure working environment that would feel like an impossible maths problem for me. But when I'm in the comfort of my armchair and have the time to logically work things out, I can put my mind to it and complete the task.

Post a Comment