Saturday, 29 June 2013

What Really Bugs Me

Some confusion of words and phrases can really bug me. I could understand it from people whose first language is not English. But when you get someone who was educated in English writing "Would of" instead of "would have" or "would've", that really gets on my nerves. Another is confusing "than" with "then". I heard a journalist, whose job it is to write reports in English for a newspaper, say something like "more then" instead of "more than" on the TV3 show Midday, the other day. It irritated me so much that I was going to email the show the following day to complain. What makes it all the more irritating is that the woman in question is very intelligent and explains topical and current affairs issues very well when she's on the show. Thankfully she (the journalist) wasn't on the following day, so I was not reminded of the irritation and never thought to email. I don't care if people think I'm being overly pedantic about the issue. I won't let people get away with it if I can help it. I have a photo to illustrate some commonly confused words & phrases. Unfortunately the difference between "apostrophe v e" and "of" is not in there.
That's my little rant over... for now!
Post a Comment