Friday, 20 September 2013

Internship Update

If you read my earlier blog post you will know that I'm in a company that designs and manufactures solenoids. I just want to continue on from that and fill people in on my progress, since I haven't done a blog in a while. My current project is updating bills of materials for all the products. But I got another task today which means I have to put the BoMs on hold for a while. A drawing for one of the assemblies needed a revision to update a specification. It turns out that this spec. is on a number of different drawings that have the same type of assembly. So now all these drawings need the same revision. It's only a small revision, but the number of drawings makes it a time consuming task. This means my main project is put on hold briefly.
It's not too bad though. I still find it fascinating and I got to physically hold an actual sample of an assembly to get a better idea of what the drawings and bills of material represent. I keep it on my desk. I like that my projects keep me thinking of the structures and build processes of the products. It could get a bit boring in the early days because of waiting for what to do next. But these days, with my main task and the occasional extra side projects, it never gets boring despite sitting in front of a computer for most of the day.
I'm made to feel like a normal member of staff and I will soon have a bit more pressure because there will be deadlines to meet. But it's a good constructive environment to work in and getting up to speed to be able to do certain things within certain time frames (with leeway for unexpected delays) is all part of the learning process.
Post a Comment