Sunday, 11 May 2014

More Audacious Projects

So anyway, I got up early yesterday morning. Not because I had anywhere specific to be or anything specific to do. I was awake and happened to be dressed before I realised how early it was. With loads of spare time, I decided to convert a couple of cassette tapes to mp3. I had converted the 2 I'd chosen already, but the sound quality was poor. It was never going to be perfect from cassettes that are almost 20 years old but I knew I could get it better than what it was.
So I got out the tapes again and put a drop of white spirit on the sponge bit underneath the tape in the cassettes and cleaned the heads of the cassette player. It was a bit of an improvement in volume, but the clarity (or lack thereof) was still that of cassettes that had been played a lot over the early years after purchase. Still, at least they're on the usb stick and copied to the memory card in the phone.
After that I decided to try something else. There are songs on the usb stick that won't play on windows media player without a codex. They are not mp3 files. But I copied them to the phone memory card as well to see if the Walkman app would play them. It worked out fine. Now I have the songs that I used to have on the old Nokia E5 on the Xperia.
The Walkman app is handy for playing different audio files. The portable cassette player just needs to be plugged into a usb port to work. The Audacity software is available to download without the player and can export recorded media to mp3 and wav files.

Post a Comment