Wednesday, 7 January 2015

My Community

I was on yahoo a few weeks ago when, what looked like, a new social networking site was advertised. I decided to try it out. The first thing I noticed when filling out the subscription form was that in the education section it requested you put in what university you attended. I found this a bit condescending to be honest because not everyone is academic and educated in that way. University was the only education option. So I ignored it and continued with the subscription and registration process.
I left it at that and intended returning to add a photo and trying it out another day. Over Christmas I got an email about a notification. Someone tried to make contact. Two people in fact. One was from a woman that used to be in the US army and another from someone in Senegal. I Googled the names (as you do) and lo and behold there were items about spammers using the very names of the people that tried to contact me through this new social networking website - even the US army veteran scam. So I logged in to the site a few days ago and browsed the messages. It was very easy to tell that the so-called "US army veteran" didn't write with a fluidity of American English that you'd expect. It was more in the style of an African on a dating website. At least the person from "Senegal" didn't try to pretend that they weren't African. I'll credit them that much.
Needless to say I deleted my profile. But the website kept sending me emails of general activity on the site, not directly related to my profile, even though I clicked the link to delete my account. So I filled out the contact form today informing them that I wanted them to delete my email address from their records.
The name of the site is My Comms or My Comuniti. It has an orange heading I think. Anyway if you come across this site my advice would be to avoid it. I only got interest from spammers/scammers and deleting my profile didn't stop the site from sending emails.
I just thought I'd share it with the world so that they can avoid making the same mistake I did.

Post a Comment