Monday, 29 June 2015

Chicken Braised with Celery

This is my version of this recipe. No grains, peas, beans or dairy (serves 1 or 2)
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken portions
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
4 to 6 celery stalks, sliced in half lengthwise and width wise
2 to 4 carrots (or, as I've used, a combination of carrots and parsnips), sliced in half lengthwise and width wise
1/2 cup Chicken Broth (a recipe for another time perhaps. Use your own chicken stock, as we call it, recipe if you have one)
1/2 cup dry white wine

Method: Preheat oven to 205C (400F)
Heat oil in a pan over a medium flame. Add chicken and cook, skin side down, for 5min. Turn chicken over and cook for another 5min. Remove from pan and tent with foil. 
Add shallot to pan and cook for 1min. Add celery and carrots and cook without stirring for 2min then turn over and cook for another 2min. I normally plate the veg at this stage but foil to keep warm.
Place chicken back in pan, skin side down. Pour in broth and wine. Cook for 20min, turning at halfway point. 
I have a separate grill compartment instead of a broil setting in the oven so I normally set my grill to a medium to high heat setting while the chicken is cooking in the pan. Change oven setting to broil and bake chicken for 3min to brown the skin. I put it in the grill for 3min and leave the door slightly open (because the grill would switch off if I closed it). Remove from oven and cool for 5min.
Thanks to the Paleo Diet Cookbook (Loren Cordain, Ph.D.) for this recipe. I will post the side salad recipe in the next blog.
Post a Comment