Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Gluten Free Specific Blog & Diet

Just letting people know that I have a new blog for specifically gluten free and coeliac related stuff. The Web address is http://eamonglutenfree.blogspot.ie if you want to check that out. I'll keep this one as well and post general random stuff as I usually do.
I started a gut healing diet on Sunday and there is a 6-stage meal plan. I'm hoping that'll help with a few issues I've had recently. I remember a dietician telling me in October 2015 that the reason I had cravings for sweets was probably because of an imbalance between the good and bad bacteria in my gut and something to do with intestinal yeast as well. I've been planning this diet for a few months and now I'm in the first week and hopefully after all 6 stages I'll gain back any weight loss from the first couple of stages. There is also a mention in the book about stocks and broths providing nutrients to bones so a person will lose weight (which I really don't need to do) in the first stages but gain it back through bone density in the latter stages.  I'm also taking vitamin D tablets because my levels were low the last time I had a check up at the doctor. That will help absorb calcium to keep my bones in good condition.
This diet is all about healing a leaky gut and replenishing the good bacteria though. The great thing about the diet is that it's not just gluten free, it's grain-free. So no so-called "safe" grains like corn or rice either. So it's ideal for me. It's not specifically for coeliacs, it's designed to heal every digestive system. You see grains can be tough on digestive systems and contribute to a leaky gut so that's why they're out. In the latter stages peas and beans are allowed back into the meals but I won't be doing that because I get abdominal pains these days if I eat them. It also has indicators on recipes to state if they're suitable for people who have other dietary requirements - nut free, dairy free, paleo, low fodmap.
So I have a diary with a plan for sourcing ingredients and what food I might need to cook in advance and days I should have food for all meals if I manage portions correctly. I can't eat out (not that I had much options for that anyway) and I'm already resisting the temptation to grab quick snacks like crisps, chocolate bars and fruit from the shop to munch on, on the way home. Fruit isn't allowed until the latter stages apart from lemon juice in herbal tea. For the tea I put some mint leaves and ginger in a tea strainer and leave it brew for 5 minutes in a cup of boiling water. Then I add coconut oil, honey and lemon juice to taste. There are healthy fats in the diet - animal fat, ghee, coconut oil.
So that's what I'm up to at the moment. Check out my new gluten free blog as well.

Post a Comment