Monday, 6 March 2017

A Word of Warning

I was looking for smooth almond butter for when I first made grain-free bread last year. I picked up the Lifeforce brand, read the ingredients & allergen section of the label, bought it and went home. Luckily before I opened it I read the other side of the label and it said it was produced in a place that also handles gluten. I took it back to the shop and got my money back.
While shopping in Dunnes stores in Tralee  yesterday I noticed that the same brand of nut butter had been moved from the nut butter, honey, jam section to the free from section. So any coeliacs, especially newly diagnosed, should not immediately trust a food item just because it's in the free from section. Be very wary of Lifeforce products because of the cross contamination risk. Dunnes, among other supermarkets, also put spelt flour beside the gluten free flours. Spelt is a type of wheat. It has a lower gluten content than regular wheat but that doesn't matter. It still has gluten in it so avoid!

Post a Comment